Pages

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Cinnamon buns.... maybe I should have waited to make these!

The next challenge in the Bread Baker's Challenge is Cinnamon Buns.  At this point I'm starting to wonder if all of the breads in this book are wonderful, but filled with white flour and sugar.  Now don't get me wrong on this, I happen to believe that white breads are awesome.  The problem lies in blood sugar levels, and absolutely no fiber in the end product.  That is why I made the decision this week to make my cinnamon rolls with splenda (except the cream cheese topping) and fresh ground Hard White Wheat flour.

Now normally I would be expecting a dense cinnamon bread type of roll from this experiment, but earlier this week I made the most awesome loaf of bread with mostly whole wheat flour.  I simply soaked the flour for 20 hours in kefir (you can use buttermilk, or 1/2 cup lemon juice and water or milk) in place of the liquid in the recipe.  The issue with not following the beaten path is that whole wheat flour, especially since it is fresh ground, needs more liquid than regular bread flour or all purpose flour to end up with the same results.  Everything was looking pretty good, until I sprayed extra water onto the cinnamon/sugar/flour I sprinkled on the dough before rolling it up.  Normally I do this because the splenda is so light it flies all over as your roll, and a light sprinkle of water helps hold it in place.  This time it caused the higher hydration dough to stick together into one solid mass, making my cinnamon rolls look more like a solid roll.

Right now they are sitting in the fridge, waiting to do their final rise when I come back from town this afternoon.  I might have to do these over again, when I have more time to focus on what I am doing rather than the million other things I was focused on this morning.  They are not a failure, although I won't know for sure till I bake them, but I know that I can do so much better!!!

Andy says, "Oh, bummer.... another batch of cinnamon rolls!", somehow I don't believe he was actually heartbroken at the thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment