Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Day 1 - 100% Whole wheat sourdough bread

If you include building my starter to be ready for baking the next day, this bread actually takes 4 days. I fed the starter on the 20th, did every in the post titled Day 1 on the 21st, on the 22nd I put everything into the fridge, and on the 23rd I did everything on the post Day 2 including baking. Sourdough is all about it fitting your schedule. 
100% starter made with whole wheat flour 

Looking very active 

Hard red wheat berries, hard white wheat berries, Fairlife milk, kosher salt, active sourdough starter, and filtered water. 
This is a mix of the two kinds of wheat berries and I will also add 50 grams of berries for feeding the starter afterwards. 

I grind my own flour using a fine grind and high speed setting. I always grind fresh so it doesn't turn bitter. 

I use a small bowl for a soaker, basically this is just allowing the flavor to develop in the flour and any other grains you add to the mix. The large bowl is for the mother starter, basically a bigger sized version of starter sometimes using a different hydration level. This needs the larger bowl so it can rise to double, and will be put into the fridge. 

Soaker 227 grams flour, 4 grams salt, and 198 grams scalded milk, pasteurized milk, yogurt, rice milk, or almond milk. Mix till all flour is incorporated into liquid. 


Both starter and soaker will look about like this when mixed in each bowl, just cover it with plastic wrap. 

Mother starter is made from 227 grams ww flour, 170 grams filtered water, and 25 grams of active sourdough starter. 

Starter/mother goes in fridge. Soaker stays on counter for 12 to 24 hours. 


No comments:

Post a Comment