Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2020

Day 2 of 100% Whole Wheat Bread

Ingredients 
All soaker
All mother starter
60 grams whole wheat flour (grind a little extra for cutting board)
5 grams salt
45 grams honey, agave nectar, sugar, brown sugar
40 grams unsalted butter, melted, or vegetable oil


On left is the soaker built on the 21st, and on the right is the starter mother.  Flavor will be so much more intense the longer you let it rest in the fridge, but gluten structure will be less the longer it stays in the fridge.

I use Kosher salt, but sea salt is fine.  Just don't use iodized salt.  The honey is from a local supplier in Silverdale Washington.  If you only have butter with salt you will need to reduce the salt in the recipe by a couple of grams.  I don't always put sweetener into my recipes though it helps with rise.
Lightly flour board or counter.  Just to stop sticking.

I use a Pastry scraper for cutting the dough into pieces, and a plastic dough scraper to get it out of the bowl.

The mother starter should be flattened onto the flour on the board.  It does not matter if you put the soaker on the board first or the mother starter.  

Flatten the soaker and starter mother on top of each other and just lightly tap some flour on top to help when cutting.

I cut in strips then into squares. 

Here are the squares!
Add it to mixer with dough hook, then add the rest of the ingredients except the flour.  Mix for about 4 minutes in then add the 60 grams of flour and knead until it cleans the sides of the bowl. Then roll out onto a floured board and shape into a ball. 


Shaped into a ball ready for a rise.

I used avocado oil for my bowl, about a tablespoon just so it would not stick as it rises. 


In bowl in a warm place, my oven has a proof setting but you can also just turn on the light in your oven and put it there.  I set a timer for 4 hours to check on it.  I will then do a final shape and put into a bread pan to rise.

Don't forget a timer to remind you lol!  :)
Take dough and carefully put onto floured surface, then shape into your final shape according to your baking pan. 

I have a long clay baker that has a lid. I let it rise till the finger poke test showed it was ready to bake. This took about 2 1/2 hours. 

Looks perfect for baking so I put the lid on and placed it in my oven, then turned it on according to the directions from my clay baker to 425* for 40 minutes. Then it says to remove the lid for the last five minutes. 

Absolutely perfect.... 

Waited 2 hours for it to complete cooking and cool, crumb shot is awesome! 

Amazing flavor as always, honey on one butter on the other. I can't believe I have waited so long to bake this one again! đź’– 

No comments:

Post a Comment