Pages

Monday, May 30, 2011

BBA Lavash Crackers

This is my version of Lavash crackers, using the formula from Peter Reinhart's book.  I adapted it by using 100% white whole wheat, and adding a little extra liquid to get the right consistency.  Here is the dough, ready to put into the fridge overnight to give it more flavor. 


I pulled the dough from the fridge this morning, and put it into my dehydrator at 80* F temperature setting. Allowing it to warm for 90 minutes, before stretching it out and sprinkling flour on top preparing it to be rolled with a rolling pin.


If I make these again, I will split the dough in half and roll it even thinner than I did this time.  The edges were a lot thinner than the middle and when I baked this the edges were thin crispy and crunchy.  I liked them a lot better than the slightly thicker portions in the center.


I sprayed the dough with water, then added rosemary, garlic, and Kosher salt.  Then I used a pizza cutter to cut them into smallish squares.  I wanted crackers you could spread a little bit of cream cheese spread on, and take a couple bites of.  Then I gave it time to rise a little bit, about 1/2 an hour while the oven warmed to 350* F.


This is how thin the outer edges were, which was just about right for this cracker.


Here they are all baked and cracked apart into individual crackers.  The thicker ones are crunchy, and not hard, but still I think would have been better about half as thick.


This shows you how thick the center ones were.


Links to my fellow baker's in the Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge, 2011!  Here are links to their versions of this cracker.  They are all very talented baker's, who have gotten together to share their results from baking the Bread's in Peter Reinhart's book Bread Baker's Apprentice.


Our host Chris at A Ku Indeed
Jim at OvenMinded
Coz at Scratchbaker




3 comments:

  1. Love the lavash crackers, I will definately do a ww version. i cut my dough in half the second time aroud, and it was easier to make them very thin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a note, if I were to make these again I would cut it to about 50% WW and 50% AP. Or maybe find some soft wheat to work with. The day after they got even harder, and I rather like to keep my teeth in my mouth if you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joanne, Your crackers look so wholesome and yummy!!

    ReplyDelete